Saturday, August 29, 2015

Cellphones and Success

Can cellphones actually be useful in the workplace?

Yes. Contrary to the popular, negative view on cellphones, they can in fact offer benefits when utilized in the workplace. Speaking personally, I use my cellphone for work related activities at least 5 times per shift. I noticed that more and more businesses are using smartphones for every day activities. For example, Nordstrom uses iphones with credit card swiping gadgets on them to ring up customers, while target has its own app they offer to shoppers to scan items with their iphone to receive discounts while equipping employees with the same features. The list of businesses that use similar practices goes on.

Both sides of the story.

Many places would argue that cellphones should not be used in the workplace for any purposes as they are deemed as "unprofessional". Depending on the industry that could be true. There is always the chance an employee will abuse their power of using cell phones by using them for personal reasons while on the job.
I have observed that for the most part cell phones can indeed play major roles in helping companies with day to day tasks. For Nordstrom it eliminates customers needing to wait in a huge line to purchase their items which plays a role in customer satisfaction. In business, customer satisfaction is vital for success. For the store I work in, I am expected to keep my phone on me so that my boss is able to text me updates if she is not present in the store. 
Essentially the usefulness of cellphones depends on the company and the industry that the business operates in. Regardless of the negative viewpoints of cellphone use nowadays, the features they obtain could create a competitive edge for a business.
Picture citation: 
OSHA Signs. OSHA NOTICE Cell Phone Use In Designated Area Only Sign ONE-14121. Digital image. Compliancesigns.com. Compliancesigns.com, n.d. Web. 28 Aug. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment